My summer as a local, stay-close-to-home teacher.




“Why would you ever move from here? It’s amazing!”.

These genuine words of wonderment from my foreign friend this summer during her visit to my picturesque corner of the world for the first time, echoed my feelings of contentment at re(re)settling back in Calgary. Particularly, it re(re)affirmed my decision to spend the majority of my summer in my own backyard. In choosing to mostly stay close to home, I was seeking to actively take in what millions of visitors choose as their destination each year. In doing so, I also acknowledged that I would likely be giving my mind and body some physical rest after a demanding year… and would prepare myself for the exciting one to come (more on this is coming next time!).

Canoeing on Lake Moraine
And so, how did I occupy my time at home, during my 7 week respite? Save a quick trip to Nashville and a few days in my native Maritime provinces, you could find me taking in one of the hottest summers on record on one of our city’s most vibrant patios. I was filling my lungs with fresh mountain air on one of the dozens of hikes that can be reached in less time than some people take to commute to work every day. I was filling those same lungs to make my giant inflatable flamingo coast on a scenic lake I had accidentally stumbled upon. 

Floating on Quarry Lake

I was/am learning to golf with my new-to-me set, and with it, finding a new favourite hobby. I was canoeing in the turquoise tinted glacier lakes that make for incredible postcards and backdrops on our currency.
Find me on a vintage 20.


 I was paddleboarding and dodging algae at Lake Chestermere. I was laughing with girlfriends at the top of windy scenic viewpooint at the end of breathtaking nature walk. I reconnected with many friends and ate many an-ice-cream at Village (serious considerations will be made to naming my first born "Salty Malty Pretzel").  I attempted equilibrium by counterbalancing said ice cream penchant and my favourite happy hours with circuit training and sweaty spin sessions. I was dancing and singing along (likely poorly) to various live music shows. I took in Folk Fest for the first time and found myself enamoured with the use of our beautiful city park for such a celebrated event. You  could also find me using my favourite pickup line by asking bearded gentlemen for a two step lesson at the Calgary Stampede – and laughing at the scoreboard during its rodeo when realizing that true cowboys were probably given their destiny at birth when named the likes of « Stetson Vest » or « Chase Outlaw ».
Stampeding with some lovely lady pals.





You didn't believe me?


I also did some very unimpressive things, such as feeling numerous brain cells die as I took in numbing TV in the form of Bachelor spinoffs , true crime shows and more TLC shows than I would like to publicly admit to.

When I was doing something that didn’t involve the company of "Scorned : When Love Kills",  and became a tourist in my own surroundings, I gave myself time to truly appreciate where I live. I gained a newfound appreciation for my city. Keep reading for my list of regional favourites.


Happy Hour : Cleaver.

Cleaver’s centrally located 17th avenue facilities (with patio!) houses, in my humble opinion, the city’s best happy hour. Pay only 5$ for scores of delicious specialty cocktails that are Instagram-story-worthy – watch cotton candy liquify in front of your eyes with the "The Protestant", or savour the frosty watermelon goodness of "The Anti Depressant" ("Fitting", added my best friend Cathy as I placed my order). Add 3$ sliders (especially the duck one) to the mix, and you will wonder how you’ve lived so long without those little buttery buns in your life.


Hikes :

Choosing a favourite hike rather easy, just what I imagine choosing a favourite child would be like, or in my case, cat (Blanche, hands down).  
I mean.. come on.

My favourite hikes tend to be the ones that allow for a bird (or drone’s) eyeview on one of our region’s most emerald hued lakes. The Lake Agnes tea house hike at Lake Louise has the added bonus of purchasable snacks when you reach its peak. 



Galatea Lakes is quite easy to get to from Calgary. You can also allow yourself to be serenaded by the nature sounds of a creek for a large part of your trek. It is a relatively easy one, though hiking poles do help with the scramble on the last kilometer to the top.

Galatea Lakes

Cocktail sweats :

My favourite place to work out for almost a year now has been Union Athletica. I love that I can get a variety of different workouts in one space – and that I have someone who is constantly pushing me to not be a slacker – something I excelled at with previous gym memberships. The combo of strength, cardio and stretch in one location and the sense of community that it encourages makes it a good fit for me. Also, the fact that I have to pay extra if I cancel my class within a certain time window made it easier for me to commit to get into the habit of working out in the first place- now, it feels as though something is amiss if I don’t schedule one in my day.


Hangouts :

Whilst dogsitting this summer, I found Quarry Lake in Canmore when utilizing what could very well be one of the world’s most beautiful dog parks. Right next to it (but sadly, not dog friendly) is a place to float your boat, practice your flutter kick or unpack a picnic with a mountain view.




Patios :

I rediscovered the garden oasis that is Bonterra’s patio this summer. Perched in back and not at all noticeable from its humble storefront, this place is a pleasure for the palate and the eyes. Canmore also houses some of the most scenic patios with places like the The Iron Goat, which offers gorgeous panoramic mountain views. The Grizzly Paw is also a great spot for a pint and a greasy burger, the post-hike meal of champs. Again, #balance.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it starts...

2019 Intentions

Sailing into Espana, and Barcelona beauties.