Experientially Motivated


My Facebook memories as of late have been reminding me that it was 7 years ago that I first arrived in Europe, ready to set sail as a teacher on Class Afloat. At the news that I would be part of the school’s 2010/2011 faculty team, the excitement was palpable. I had been fascinated (/obsessed) by the idea of being part of this school since hearing of its existence. It was a programme and education philosophy that seemed near –perfectly aligned with my own teaching values. The idea of exploring the world and learning experientially was something I was proud to take part in.


Sea rookies. Cuuute.


With my best ship mate, Christina! She quickly became my confidant and resident BFF on board. Although, she should have said something to me about my disappearing brows situation. Yeesh.

            Early followers of stories on this blog will remember that the adventure was as life-altering for me as it was for my students. An experience such as the one offered by Class Afloat ultimately deeply impacts your worldview.  The learning happens as you set foot in every new port, exploring places on the globe you sometimes never even knew existed. It occurs in the growth that tends to follow new, uncomfortable experiences. It happens in the connections you make with the people who live through these changes with you, and understand the range of emotions that come with it. It happens with the adventures you undertake and the deep reflections you can have with your own thoughts when you’ve not seen land for the better part of a month. To simplify it extraordinarily, you could call it the school of life. You might recall my struggle with readapting to land life, despite having had some challenging (read: nauseating) times at sea. Largely, I wondered if the opportunity to lead such a profoundly meaningful educational opportunity would ever become possible for me again.
Barf. Cool! But, my stomach. It churns.


            Thankfully, it did! Since my return to Calgary from my year on Class Afloat, I had the pleasure of working alongside its leadership team to help build the academic side of the program and support its faculty from land. Since then, the school’s academic direction has been taken on full-time by my exceptionally talented and passionate ship roomie, Megan. I love meeting with her every summer when I return home to catch up on life and chat all things Floatie-related. As I returned from my sojourn abroad in Abu Dhabi and resettled in Calgary, I soon stepped into my new role as a student of International Relations. In addition to returning my full-time teaching gig, I began my Masters studies that helped reaffirm my deep interest in all things diplomacy, conflict resolution and internationalism.

            As my academic life developed, I found myself yearning for a professional change, something that would better reflect my passions and skill set. Having been a classroom teacher for over 12 years, I needed something to propel me from that which had become routine and/or demanding to something that better utilized my abilities and values – a professional challenge that I would be proud to take on. Seeking to fill the void that accompanied no longer being tied to Class Afloat, I wondered if the possibilities offered at my current school would be enough to satiate the appetite that I had to head more experiential and international learning opportunities.

            To my great delight, THE UNIVERSE (and our amazing admin team) RESPONDED! Or persistence, fate, luck, or the big guy upstairs, whatever you believe in – something worked. Our school began taking steps to become accredited as both International Baccalaureate and Round Square schools. The latter was particularly serendipitous, as it seeks to promote Kurt Hahn’s educational philosophy – the same that inspired Class Afloat’s inception. Round Square has 6 pillars which it seeks to encourage amongst its member schools based on the acronym IDEALS: Internationalism, Democracy, Environmentalism, Adventure, Leadership and Service. Basically, CHANT if I could spell out those words with my name. Essentially everything that I care deeply about as an educator and all-encompassing of a spirit that I wish to engrain in my students.

            Cue my application and interview process, followed by the news that I was the successful applicant for this dream job (forgive my use of this very cliché term, but in this case- it fits).

And so.. what does this job entail?

            In large part, as Round Square coordinator, I encourage its ideals within the school setting and promote international exchanges. I work to connect with schools from over 40 countries in diverse ways, such as virtual exchange, travel and service project opportunities. Round Square students and teachers are able to participate in exchanges with fellow schools in the organization, getting the chance to step inside a peer’s shoes in places like Thailand, India or Australia.  To become a member school, we must show proof of promoting its mission within our activities and teaching. Additionally, we must attend at least one of its conferences annually, whether it be regionally or abroad. Here, students and teachers from the world over meet to network, to converse, to share and to participate in adventures and in service projects.

            As this year’s international conference is hosted by three Round Square schools in South Africa, I am off to this oft dreamed about part of the world for just over 2 weeks with three students in tow. Before attending the conference in Cape Town, we will be exploring Kruger National Park and hiking in some of its most picturesque milieus with a few other students and teachers from Europe and Australia. We will be actively learning about the regional flora and fauna through engagements with local sanctuaries and conservation organizations.  We will be adventuring in its wild terrain through safaris, hikes and zip-lining excursions. Upon arrival in Cape Town, we will connect with more fellow Round Square schools and engage in a dialogue related to diversity and internationalism with colleagues from all continents.


Follow this space for stories related to this new adventure that allows me to keep Calgary as a home base whilst promoting active global citizenship – nerd alert! Learn more about Round Square here: https://www.roundsquare.org/

Xx

Comments

  1. So exciting when preparation and opportunity come together disguised as luck at just the right time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it starts...

2019 Intentions

Sailing into Espana, and Barcelona beauties.