2019 Intentions


Instead of a New Year’s resolution in 2018, I was inspired by my friend Zoe Hall’s tradition of setting a monthly goal for herself. Though I did not achieve everything on the list, I loved this exercise for a few reasons. I liked the reflection that it encouraged, and the tone that it set for a year of small improvements. Nothing that required a drastic change, but full of positive intentions that encouraged me to be mindful of my habits.


I am taking on the task again this year, and reflecting on my successes and flops of the previous year. One takeaway is that I should be more aware of my reality and time constraints in planning for these, so that my successes outnumber my botches.... and, so that I don't completely miss the mark on my fall/winter challenges. OOPS. So, here goes:

January 2018: Purchase- Free
No purchasing of non-essential items (no clothes, accessories, etc.)
Mostly did this, save the $10 I spent to buy sunglasses in Miami due to my forgetfulness in not packing them………(and the subsequent $14 I spent in that same store on a sports bra and cute shirt that were so ridiculously on sale that it would have been criminal to leave them there, or so I convinced myself). Will add this one to this year’s challenge and be better.

January 2019: Junk Drawer Declutter - check off all the things on my To Do list that I've been avoiding for weeks/months/decades. 

February 2018: Social Media Freeze
No Facebook, Snapchat or Instagram for the month.
Goal reached! Will try this again in 2019, and I am taking advantage of the new Screen Time option on my iPhone. It allows me to limit the time I spend scrolling on mind-numbing content. All social media time is limited to 30 mins per day, henceforth.
February 2019:  Same. No Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or Twitter for the month.

March 2018: Junk Food Free
No candy, chips, chocolate, popcorn, etc.
HAHAHA. Cute that I could think that I could do this. This only works when I’ve got money riding on it. I have the self-control of a 9-year-old when it comes to pizza and popcorn. I probably did do better than my average snack intake, but definitely indulged in some cheat days. I can’t remember how many, but I do recall forgetting to drop 5-7 lbs. before my Honduras trip.

March 2019 : Learn and implement all things taxes/stocks/savings that I was supposed to take on in September (spoiler alert: I failed this 2018 challenge). Also tacking on the non-purchase of any items that aren’t essential.

April 2018: Half-marathon training
Go for 4-5 runs a week, and yoga once a week.
I partially stuck to this one. I did run a half-marathon in May, but pounding the pavement in preparation for this one was HARD. Running is usually very therapeutic for me, but it became more of a chore and less of a release (which is sadly apparent in my running time- my worst of 3 races, and at 2:05, 8 mins slower than my 2017 time.. ugh). I did do two yin yoga classes, which I should really do more of. A treat for my limbs and soul.

April 2019: will attempt a renaissance of my running glory days by committing to 3-4 runs a week (more realistic) and 2 runs that are more than 15km in the month.

May 2018: Reading month
Set aside 20 minutes a day for reading – books of my choosing, not out of obligation (looking at you, Masters material).
I DID keep a nice collection of books by my bedside, but sadly did not achieve the goal of reading every night. It is something that I have gotten into more recently, however. Having a stimulating read has helped with this. Currently devouring In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Dr Gabor Maté (a must-read to gain better understanding of -  and more compassion for - all who are affected by addiction). Next up: Queen Michelle Obama’s Becoming.

May 2019: Find a volunteer opportunity that I can do routinely.

June 2018: Golf
Take golf lessons and play at least 4 rounds (1 per week).
CHECK. This one was a big one on my list, and I am so glad I invested the time in improving my golf game. It helped to have my vivacious friend Julia join me for this one as an accountability partner, AND to make it more fun. I learned, unlearned and relearned a few things. Big takeaway: golfing is one of my preferred ways of spending time outside whilst enjoying a malty beverage.

June 2019: Same same, sans the lessons. Also, book a tee time at Kananaskis Golf Course.

July: Writing workshop
Write in a journal at least 5 times a week and blog at least twice
NEWWWWP. Big fail on this one. I do not even possess said journal. I did blog once in an effort to raise funds for a race, so I’ll consider this goal 1/25th accomplished.  

July 2019: I’ll be in the midst of thesis writing at this point, so I’ll be turning up the zen and self-care. SO: 2-3 things to help this per week, ie: taking a bath (so underrated), or a yoga class.  

August 2018: Gratitude
Write at least 2 handwritten notes per week to people I love and tell them how grateful I am for them and what they bring to my life.
Disappointed that I didn’t come through on this one. Words are a huge love language for me, and I value reminding my loved ones how much they matter. I DID continue my new tradition of writing Holiday cards with photos from the previous year, so will give myself partial credit for sticking to that (4 months late). I like the idea of unexpected handwritten notes, though… so, it’s back on the list.

2019 revised goal: write 1 note a month to someone I dearly care for, reminding them of what they bring to my life.

August 2019: spend more time outdoors. Go on at least 4 hikes.

September 2018: Stocks and savings
Improve my financial literacy – invest more actively in stock market.
I should have known better than to place something of this importance in September (mayhem month for teachers)– hence its upgrade for 2019.

September 2019: do something that is (super) outside of my comfort zone – like bungee jump, take a Beyonce dance class, or something just as terrifying.

October: Outdoors
Spend at least 8 hours per week outside (hiking, walking, running…).
Oh what a nice thought. I managed the walking part, but should definitely add more hiking.

October 2019: I’ll be in India for the better part of the month- reading challenge it is! At least 20 mins a day.


November 2018: Random act of kindness
Surprise friends and strangers with one random act of kindness per day
I completely forgot about this one. I DO like this idea, though.

November 2019: not forget about it, and commit to at least 3 random acts of kindness per week (like paying for someone’s coffee, or shoveling their walk.

December: Give back
Organize 4 group volunteering initiatives in the month and sponsor 3 seniors for Christmas giving
I attempted this, but should have taken it upon myself to get organized earlier. By the time I started looking for options in late November, most were already booked up. I did manage to organize a collection of goods and holiday card making for the Drop In Center, which were very well received. Lesson learned in organization and advanced planning.

December 2019: take on the 2018 goal again, but with better planning & execution.




Comments

  1. Chantalle, the simple fact that you wrote your goals is not easy. Congratulations on your accomplishments and thank you for inspiring us to do the same. ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chantalle, you never cease to amaze me! You are such an amazing and inspiring person! You spread a lot of sunshine everywhere you go! Thank you for sharing your blog. I am happy to know you a little more deeply!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That previous comment was from me, Sheila Tousignant. Not sure why it listed me as "Unknown."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And it starts...

I am one of them.